rome vs. new york

my friend peter smith with his friend joey arias


Letter from Peter: When I left New York, a friend fiendishly said, "So now you're just another guy from Boston who once lived in New York."

That was true, but I lived in New York during an epic time: 1976-1981. 

The rest of it was just about making money.

People constantly ask what I missed about New York during my away years.

"The Mudd Club, Max's, the St Mark's Theater, the pinball parlors on 42nd Street, trannies in the meat market."

"But those things are all gone."

"Exactly."

I miss nothing of the New York of now.

I walk into the room and imagine myself the godling that I was in 1976.

I see no one.

Only TV clones.

So enjoy Roma, the eternal city.

Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think.horace

No comments: